Job Title: Financial Analyst
Location: Minneapolis (Mostly On-Site, Occasional Hybrid)
Element is a commercial real estate advisory firm that provides development consulting and leasing services for owners and entrepreneurs in walkable, urban neighborhoods in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro. Founded in 2015 and based in the North Loop neighborhood of Minneapolis, Element works with clients who are passionate about their businesses and communities and explore the “what ifs” of their projects. By employing a business model based on having a balance of development consulting and leasing services, Element is able to consider projects from different perspectives, adding understanding and creating opportunities. This dual perspective (gained by being both brokers and developers) allows us to provide greater value and ultimately enables us to drive what’s possible for our clients.
By joining us, you will have a rare opportunity to be a part of a wide range of commercial real estate activities including development, leasing, and historic renovation in walkable urban neighborhoods of the Twin Cities. You will work directly with the principals of the firm to conduct market research, financial analysis, contribute towards projects in active stages of development and construction, and assist with commercial leasing activities.
If you are interested, please send a cover letter and a resume to:
JoAnna Hicks, Co-Founder and Principal
Approximately 10-15 hours per week during typical work hours. Element is a hybrid workplace; in-person meetings are preferred but some hybrid meetings will occur. Schedule can be flexible by week. Preference is for a candidate who can commit to at least 9 months.
Would consider a Part-Time position for the right candidate.
START DATE: ASAP
The intern will directly assist on all projects within the office. These responsibilities will include but are not limited to market research, financial analysis, underwriting of acquisitions, and some project management assistance for development projects.
- Market research of the Minneapolis/St. Paul and adjacent first ring markets
- Space availability and potential acquisitions in relevant markets
- Tenant/Company information
- Market comps (leasing activity and sales) using public information
- Space availability for Tenant prospects
- Prospective Tenants in market for Owners
- Complete financial analysis of potential acquisitions using proforma templates and other financial analysis tools.
- Summarize property information for sites and target markets including: planning, zoning, ownership, size, city wards, council members, etc.
- Preparation of quarterly research reports of leasing/sale activity on targeted neighborhoods
Project & Asset Management Support:
- Collaborate on a variety of development consulting projects
- Prepare proformas for development projects
- Create templates for future projects based on current models
- Track project expenditures against established budgets
- Perform Net Effective Rent Scenarios for lease options
- Help with asset management: entering new leases into AppFolio and our rent roll spreadsheet; prepare end-of-year CAM reconciliations
- Perform monthly reviews of income statements and prepare budget-to-actuals statements; assist with creating new annual budgets each January as requested
Skills, Knowledge and Personal Characteristics:
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and understanding of financial analysis
- Ability to work with deadlines and under pressure
- Independently manage a schedule and attend commitments
- Report regularly and actively in an organized fashion to a supervisor
- A general interest or prior work experience relating to real estate or urban neighborhoods
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from secondary education with a focus on economics, real estate, finance, business administration, urban planning or a related field.
Black, indigenous, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Element Commercial Real Estate
117 Washington Avenue, Suite 200
Minneapolis, MN 55401