Once known as Central Park, Loring Park sits on the southern edge of Downtown Minneapolis. The name officially changed to Loring Park in 1880 when Charles Loring, the park board’s first president, was leaving his post. His friend and fellow park advocate, William Folwell, proposed renaming the park to honor the man who helped create it. Loring suggested instead that the park be renamed Hennepin Park for its location along Hennepin Avenue, but he was outvoted by Folwell and the board.
Today, the Loring Park District is home to around 8,000 residents and 300 businesses offering historic and modern apartments and condos, great dining options, cultural institutions and office space, all surrounding the beautiful urban park.